Getting to Know Me

Welcome to the blog of African Baroque Textile Jewels.
I've been making jewelry from textiles for just over a year now.  My inspiration and the majority of my materials come from the continent on which I live, Africa.
Living here, in Cape Town, is in many ways a dichotomy.
For a start, I'm a white person.  Third generation.  I've never lived anywhere else.  I feel African and yet I can't deny my European roots.  Politics and race are never very far from any experience and conversation and it's pretty complicated at times.  But it's also very simple.
For me the simple part is that I love Africa.  I love the people, the earth, the wildness, the freedom and the excitement.  Living here is never ever boring.
All of the above inspires and influences the work I'm making now.  And so in future posts I'll be taking you with me on my journey.
I hope to share my growing passion for African textiles and beads as well as my respect for the usually unknown craftsmen and women who create them. And I'll be documenting the things I learn along the way.
In addition to this I'll be exploring historical, geographical and cultural dimensions through my own perspective.
Because I've been creating my jewels for over a year now, some of the first posts may be retrospective but I hope you'll find them interesting regardless. 


Comments

Popular Posts